Monday, March 9, 2015

Why You NEED an AR-15 with a 30 Round Magazine!



Gun control advocates consistently try to paint gun owners into a corner by framing one’s right to keep and bear arms in terms of “needs.” A perfect example: “Why does any American need one of these AR-15s? What possible protection can that kind of thing offer them? It’s a military rifle,” said former CNN host Piers Morgan back in 2012 — when he was still on television. Aside from being wrong, an AR-15 is not a “military rifle,” Morgan simply doesn’t understand that not every self-defense situation is created equally. There is no “normal scenario” when it comes to protecting oneself from the criminal element. In the video above, a Georgia resident had to protect his home from two armed home invaders who kicked own his door. During the encounter, an eyewitness said as many as “30 to 40 shots” were fired. Here’s a play by play courtesy of a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous. “He said a lady knocked first,” said the neighbor, who spoke to the homeowner shortly after the incident. “Then after he didn’t go to the door, they kicked the door in,” she said. “They came in his house.” That neighbor told WSB-TV that she was trying to take a nap when she heard the shots. “As soon as I laid down, I heard about 30 to 40 shots,” she said. While it’s not clear what type of gun the resident used to repel the attack, I believe that the firearm I would need to survive that encounter is a semiautomatic rifle capable of accepting a magazine with a capacity of at least 30 rounds of ammunition. Allow me to explain. As I mentioned, not all self-defense situations are the same. Just like not all shooters are the same. At the tranquil setting of indoor gun range, I’m not a great shot with a handgun. I can only imagine how much worse I’d be under the extreme duress of a home invasion that quickly escalates to an all out gunfight. So, a handgun wouldn’t suffice. What about a pump-action shotgun or a bolt-action rifle? I’m a much better shot with both. But I believe that the slower rate of fire, the limited capacity and the time it takes to reload either gun makes me vulnerable. Continuing to go by the example in the video, it’s already two against one; I’m outgunned as it is. I need a weapon that will come close to leveling the playing field. So, for me, the only firearm that I would feel confident shooting during a home invasion scenario with multiple attackers would be an AR-15 with a 30 round mag. Could I get by with another gun? Maybe. Maybe not. I say that because along with preparedness, confidence is key. And with my life on the line, I want to be as confident as I can possibly be. In short, I need an AR-15. I accept that there are different strokes for different folks. Not everyone agrees with me because not everyone shoots like me. Some gun owners need handguns, others shotguns or larger caliber rifles for home defense. Thankfully, we have a Second Amendment that protects our right to keep and bear arms for traditionally lawful purposes like self-defense within the home. Implicit in that right is the freedom to choose which firearm fits our needs. I need and AR-15 for home defense. But even if I didn’t need an AR-15, it’s still my right via the Constitution to own one.

No comments:

Post a Comment