Friday, July 7, 2017

A Florida man spent 90 days in jail after a police officer mistook drywall for cocaine.

A Florida man spent 90 days in jail after a police officer mistook drywall for cocaine.
WFTV9 reports Karlos Cashe, a handyman from Oviedo, was pulled over by police for driving without his headlights on back in March. After police discovered he was on probation for cocaine and marijuana from 2015, however, they placed him in handcuffs since they believed he was violating his court-ordered curfew.
While Cashe was sitting in the back of the police car, a K-9 unit arrived and the dog notified police to what was allegedly the presence of cocaine and marijuana in Cashe’s car. A police’s field test also tested positive for the substance.
However, as it turns out, there were no drugs present in Cashe’s car, and he wasn't even violating his curfew.
Hours after his arrest, it was also discovered Cashe had never violated his curfew, since the police’s system was reportedly “not up to date.” In May, police lab tests discovered there were no drugs in the car. Cashe ended up spending a title of 90 days in the Seminole County Jail for a crime he was not guilty of.
Cashe said he told police during the stop, “I know for a fact (that) it’s drywall because I’m a handyman. I said that continuously during the arrest stop.”
“Look at my record. If I get in trouble, I plead to it,” he said, referencing his criminal history.
“I sat there 90 days knowing I was innocent,” he explained.
“This is what I want to stop,” he told WFTV9. “I don’t want this to happen to anybody else.”
In 2016, police in Orlando arrested a man after confused icing from a Krispy Kreme doughnut for meth. The officer who made the arrest eventually resigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment